Sunday, December 7, 2008

Don't Eat My Brain!

I thought it wouldn't happen quite this fast, but alas I am wrong. My little boychick is eating my brain. The upside to this is that he is getting smarter by the minute. The downside is that I am getting stupider. In the last week or so the little guy has learned loads of things, including how to get from his stomach to sitting up (seriously, he's a genius). I, however, have forgotten both how to accomplish anything at work and my area code. I'd be upset, but it's all for a good cause.

I am a bit more ambivalent, however, about Romi's rate of maturity. I know he had a whole six months without us where he pretty much did a whole lot of nothing, but we missed those months, and now it seems as if he changes and grows and learns something new every darn day. I freaked out this week when I was told that I had to register him for preschool next month. OK, I know school's coming and all, but jeez, we've only had the bugger six weeks and we're talking sending him off to school! I am so proud of him when he discovers something new and exciting that he can do, but I also want him to stay my little guy for a bit longer. Of course, I wouldn't mind a bit of maturity in his sense of humor. Last Friday he bonked me with his big head on the bridge of my nose, which I gotta tell you really, really, really hurt. When I started shouting "ow!" he thought it was one of the funniest things he'd seen in his seventh months of existence. I certainly hope the Three Stooges are not in my future.

And one more lesson of parenthood: not everything works for every baby. Jacob's parents rave about the "soother" they have for his crib. The lights and sounds of the swinging monkey, gurgling fish and popping frog keep Jacob happy company in his crib until he is overcome by sleep. Seeing as Romi loves the lion on his bumper (and said bumper's days are numbered), I figured we'd get him his only little jungle paradise to lull him to a comfortable sleep. Yeah, right. I strapped it to his crib, he was all cuddly and sleepy and ready to nap, I put him in his bed, turned on the light show and--BAM!--instant alertness. This was the best toy ever! He squealed, laughed and kicked his legs in enjoyment of the show. Soothing it was not and sleep inducing wasn't even in the vicinity. Now we don't know what to do with it; he likes it so much and makes him so happy we hate to get rid of it. Sigh.

No comments: