Sunday, January 11, 2009

2009: Off and Running

It 's been quite an exciting year for the newest Gludt. First off, he got to spend a week with Nana and Papa, which he absolutely loved and for which he showed his enthusiasm by throwing up on every member of the family at least once during the week-long visit. Way to go Little Guy! But Nana and Papa were not to be deterred and still enjoyed getting to know their grandson better. My favorite moment of the visit came one night when he was in his bed fussing, long after the time for sleep for little boys had come and gone. I explained to Nana that I wasn't allowed in Romi's bedroom once he had been put to bed; I admit it, I just don't have the fortitude to offer comfort without picking him up. With a dismissive wave of her hand, Nana took all of her grandmother experience and decreed she would take care of it. Nana may have seven surviving grandchildren, but it took a total of, oh, 23 seconds, for her to cave on this one and she came out carrying the little bugger and explaining, "But he was sitting up and smiling at me!" Yeah, sister I know, he's got both our numbers.

Romi continues to grow and explore both his home environment and his food options. I am happy to report that he has a total of five teeth and that he isn't afraid to use them, even on his Abba. Alas, he has also discovered a new hair-raising, goose-bump inducing, shiver-producing trick: grinding his shiny new white teeth together to create one of the most hideous sounds known to man. I can't believe I miss the days when he just ate all my clothing.

The best news of all, however, is that Romi's circumcision surgery is behind us. The day I dreaded went without incident, and I neither accosted nor killed anyone at TMC (as I had predicted I might). Instead, the hospital staff was warm and understanding and did their absolute best to provide us with comfort and information. It hasn't been the best four days of Romi's life, but he's healing, thank God. Of course, I still think they should have given me the Demerol, instead of Romi, but who can explain today's modern medical community?

1 comment:

Hallie said...

I remember the very first time Devin had to have shots! (My mom had to throw me out of the room!) So I totally understand the need for Mommy Demerol!

Glad to hear the little guy is doing so well!